Ad blocker detected: Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting united states by disabling your advertisement blocker on our website.

Removing Decal Adhesive

Boating related questions, small projects, custom piece of work and talk go hither.

Backslider
Posts: 31
Joined: 05 May 2022, 11:21
10
Location: Central Idaho

Removing Decal Adhesive

Hello
I'yard refurbishing 1980s Alumacraft Backtroller 17 and am trying to prep information technology for painting. I'g removing the boat-long decals (stripes, manufacturer name, model name)with a oestrus gun and they coming off only leaving a tacky adhesive on the hull. I'm thinking of trying to get rid of this stuff with an orbital sander, acetone, or wire castor wheel. Before trying that I thought I'd ask and see if anyone know if those methods will damage the hull. I plan on painting the boat with a swamp grass camo pattern. Thanks!




User avatar

Gramps50
Posts: 854
Joined: 16 February 2022, 18:22
x
Location: Murphy, Missouri

Removing Decal Adhesive

Post by Gramps50 »

Be careful with WD 40 as pigment doesn't like information technology. The painters I know say information technology's a hurting to get off. From the smell of it Goo Gone is the aforementioned thing.

When I refreshed the numbers on my boat I used a oestrus gun to remove and then lacquer thinner and acetone to get rid of the glue. Really the lacquer thinner worked the best. I used an old launder material for the rag.

--- Gramps
1985 1651 Polar Kraft twenty hp Mercury
HB 597 ci Hard disk DI



User avatar

bcbouy
Posts: 1394
Joined: 03 Jan 2022, 12:29
11
Location: british columbia canada

Removing Decal Adhesive

Mail service by bcbouy »

i used goof off to remove my 15 hp stickers (boats take to exist registered if over 10 hp) its almost as good every bit lighter fluid.

if all else fails....terminate using all else


Backslider
Posts: 31
Joined: 05 May 2022, 11:21
10
Location: Central Idaho

Removing Decal Adhesive

Postal service by Backslider »

Well, I tried some pigment thinner and denatured booze...I call up this is going to be a big time elbow grease project. The decals covered much of the hull. Maybe I'll need to try some grain alcohol :) Would information technology injure anything to employ a rotary wire brush on information technology?


User avatar

JamesM56alum
Posts: 814
Joined: 25 Jan 2022, 09:33
10
Location: Farmington, minnesota "Orginally Pensacola, Fl"

Removing Decal Agglutinative

Post by JamesM56alum »

knotted wire brush on a angle grinder, if it's blank alum and your just trying to strip left overs off and you program on painting it anyways. Fast an easy and dont exist alarmed when you lot scuff up the alum, i used the grinder to strip my entire boat and the pigment stuck nicely and you cant even tell it was scuffed.


Sawdust Farmer
Posts: 115
Joined: 15 Aug 2022, 01:46
x
Location: NE Arkansas

Removing Decal Adhesive

Post by Sawdust Farmer »

JamesM56alum wrote:knotted wire castor on a angle grinder, if it'south bare alum and your just trying to strip left overs off and you lot plan on painting it anyways. Fast an piece of cake and dont be alarmed when you scuff up the alum, i used the grinder to strip my entire boat and the paint stuck nicely and you deceit even tell it was scuffed.

Concur as long every bit y'all're merely removing the left overs. Besides much sticker and/or glue and you'll end up with more than of mess than you started with.

sf



User avatar

Gramps50
Posts: 854
Joined: xvi February 2022, 18:22
10
Location: Murphy, Missouri

Removing Decal Adhesive

Mail past Gramps50 »

If I remember right I rubbed the lacquer thinner on with a rag allow information technology sit for a few seconds, and then took a putty knief and scraped off the heavy stuff then used the dampened rag to remove the residue.

I wasn't painting or I would have used the knotted wire brush method subsequently removing the stickers with the rut gun.

--- Gramps
1985 1651 Polar Kraft 20 hp Mercury
HB 597 ci Hd DI


Beefer
Posts: 64
Joined: 10 Apr 2022, eleven:04
10
Location: Treasure Island, FL

Removing Decal Adhesive

Mail past Beefer »

+1 on the heat gun. $10 from harbor freight, and you'll notice other uses for information technology. Goo Gone or Goof Off would be the next in line.

Image
1978 Sears GameFisher 1330
1984 SportCraft OSFF 22'2"
1969 Smokin' Hot Wife


Apostate
Posts: 31
Joined: 05 May 2022, 11:21
10
Location: Cardinal Idaho

Removing Decal Adhesive

Post past Backslider »

The results are in. I tried denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner,pigment thinner, acetone, Goof Off, and WD 40 trying to remove the 40 acres of 30 yr one-time decal adhesive on my boat. WD 40 was the hands down winner. Still it took 2 hours last nighttime with the WD40, a wire castor, and a scraper to clean 3/4 of the way downward the 17 pes boat. I hope the fish volition appreciate all the piece of work that's going into this...


nomowork
Posts: 1133
Joined: 20 May 2022, 00:42
11
Location: The wacky west coast

Removing Decal Adhesive

Mail past nomowork »

Backslider wrote:The results are in. I tried denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner,paint thinner, acetone, Goof Off, and WD twoscore trying to remove the 40 acres of 30 year quondam decal adhesive on my boat. WD forty was the hands down winner. Still it took ii hours last night with the WD40, a wire brush, and a scraper to clean 3/4 of the fashion down the 17 foot boat. I hope the fish will appreciate all the work that's going into this...

WD40 has also been known to be an constructive chumming agent. :roll:

HAPPILY UNEMPLOYED


DaveInGA
Posts: 629
Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 01:25
xiv
Location: Jefferson, GA
Contact:

Removing Decal Adhesive

Post by DaveInGA »

Backslider,

Cheque out my build in my sig. In it, you'll find where I found a couple chemicals that were highly effective with both sticker/paint removal and carpeting gum removal. Sure saved me a lot of muscle work.